Call for Nominations for the AEA Board of Directors
Deadline: Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Show your commitment to the value of the American Evaluation Association and help to shape its future! You may nominate yourself or a committed, AEA colleague. This year we will elect three Board members-at-large and a President-elect. Nominating candidates for office is a valuable service to the Association and your thoughtful participation in this process is greatly appreciated.
Qualifications and Time Commitment
Any AEA member (international as well as national) may serve on the AEA Board. The Board Members will serve three-year terms, beginning January 1, 2015 and attend three Board meetings a year. Each Board member regularly participates in the work of the Board through attendance at Board meetings, ongoing email exchange, and liaising with Board Task Forces, Working Groups or other Board-focused volunteer groups.
Expenses for first two in-person Board meetings not held in conjunction with the annual conference are fully reimbursed. The third meeting coincides with the annual meeting and reimbursement is limited to the two additional nights' hotel expenses needed to attend the Board meeting.
Only a United States AEA member may serve as President. The president must preside over all Board meetings unless otherwise stated. The tenure of the President is as follows:
1st year President-elect
2nd year President
3rd year Past-president and Secretary
When reviewing nominations for candidates, the Elections Working Group considers the following information:
- The individual's previous service to AEA and leadership in AEA,
- The individual's contributions and service to the evaluation profession in other ways, and ·
- The individual's availability and accessibility (see below).
Proposed candidates must agree to be available for Board work during their term. More specifically, each candidate will be asked to sign a letter of agreement stipulating his/her:
- Availability and willingness to attend three Board meetings each year of the three-year term,
- Availability and accessibility by phone for periodic Board conference calls during the three-year term,
- Understanding that he/she is not eligible to receive an AEA-sponsored award during the three-year term,
- Agreement to abide by AEA Governance Policies related to responsibilities of the Board member
Due to legal, financial, and organizational requirements, in addition to the above conditions, nominees for President-elect must agree to (1) undergo a credit check prior to being placed on the ballot, and (2) reside in the United States throughout the three-year term if elected. Nominees for President-elect should recognize that their role requires a great deal of time, creative energy, and focus.
AEA and the Leadership Team are committed to nourishing and establishing diversity in the governance of the association. As stated in the AEA bylaws, "It is the policy of the American Evaluation Association to actively seek diversity across the Board and all committees, task forces, and other advisory groups, and individuals." Particular attention is paid to adequate representation and balance according to the following criteria:
- Gender (including nondiscrimination based on sexual representation or gender identity)
- Racial/ethnic representation
- Disciplinary heterogeneity
- Practitioner/academic balance
- Geographic heterogeneity
- International representation
- Heterogeneity of areas of application
View current Board composition here.
The Submission Process
Think broadly and consider candidates both within the United States and around the world. All nominations should be sent as a single packet, or emailed file, to the AEA office. Submit COMPLETED applications to the AEA office on or before Friday, March 28, 2014 at 11:59pm EST.
Each nomination submission should contain:
- Nominee Identification and Contact Information: Name, Title, Affiliation, Land mail Address, Email, Alternative Email for summer months and vacations, Phone, Gender, ethnicity, Discipline, Practitioner and/or Academic Focus, Geographic Representation, Area(s) of Work Application.
- Nominee Statement: A brief statement from the nominee indicating a) his or her interest in serving, b) the Board position he or she is seeking (President-elect or Board Member-at- Large), c) any special qualifications.
- Nominee Qualifications: An abbreviated (1-2 page) Curriculum Vitae or Résumé.
- (If not self-nominated) Nomination Statement: A brief statement from the nominator attesting to the nominee's qualifications.
- (If not self-nominated) Nominator Identification and Contact Information: Name, Title, Affiliation, Land mail Address, Email, Phone.
- (If not self-nominated) Nominator: Nominator must obtain permission from Nominee to submit his/her name
Optional: Nominations may include up to 5 letters of support sent with the packet or under separate cover. However, these also need to arrive on or before Friday, March 28, 2014.
Send all materials via email to email@example.com or via land mail to AEA, 2025 M ST NW Ste 800 Washington, DC 20036 on or before Friday, March 28, 2014.
The bylaws require the Elections Working Group, with Board approval, to submit to the membership the names of only two candidates for each open position. There is no guarantee that a nominee will be placed on the ballot. Reminder, if you are nominating someone, please obtain the nominee's permission.
The bylaws also allow for an alternate approach to the nominations process. Any nominee who petitions for inclusion on the candidate slate for board of directors, including President, must have the support of at least 1% of the current membership. This support can be demonstrated in electronic (e.g., email) or hard copy form, as long as the information can be recorded and documented in a physical manner. Individual letters in support of a petition may not be sent to the AEA office; rather, it is the responsibility of the nominator to collect and compile the letters and to submit them as a single set in a single file. The petition and supporting letters must be received in the AEA office, for forwarding to the Elections Working Group, on or before the Friday, March 28, 2014 deadline for nominations.
If you have questions about nominations or elections, please contact :
· The 2014 Nominations WG Chair, Robin Kelley, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the submissions process or need assistance in compiling materials, please contact:
· The 2014 Elections Working Group Chair, Tristi Nichols, via email at email@example.com .
Thank you for participating in the life of the Association.